Last Updated on February 10, 2021 by Editorial Team
Do you know how to export Intuit Online Payroll transactions into QuickBooks? If you don’t know the procedure to export the transaction then you can read this article. In this, exporting and importing of the transaction helps to manage the company records more easily in the QuickBooks. So, for this, you need to set up and then use the export functions with the Intuit Full Service Payroll and Intuit Online Payroll for the QuickBooks Pro, QuickBooks Premier, and QuickBooks Enterprise.
Steps For Setting Up Export Into QuickBooks Desktop
For exporting the Payroll information of Intuit Full Service Payroll, Intuit Online Payroll, and Intuit Online Payroll for QuickBooks for Mac into the QuickBooks Desktop then you have to follow the steps which are mentioned below:
Strategy 1: Setting Up Intuit Full Service Payroll into QuickBooks Desktop
Here are steps for exporting the Intuit Full Service Payroll into the QuickBooks Desktop are:
- First, you have to go to the account settings and then you need to choose the set up now in the export to QuickBooks section.
- In this step, you have to select the accounting software to which you have to export your Payroll transactions to:
- In QuickBooks Desktop for Window: downloadable IIF file (Intuit Interchange Format)
- QuickBooks Online
- QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
- Now click on continue for going further.
- Then you select which QuickBooks accounts you have to export to.
Select your Account as per the given points below
- Here you are having three options for mapping expenses accounts as by item type, employee type, or employee name. In this, liability accounts do not have 3 options.
- You can use only alphabetical characters and numbers in the account names. But if you have special characters listed in your account names in QuickBooks, then you have to remove them in order to transport fortunately from Intuit Full Service Payroll.
- Suppose if you are using the subcategories or sub-accounts, then you can use a colon to separate category names from the subcategory like Payroll: Gross Wages (no space before or after the colon).
- But if you use account numbers in QuickBooks, then you don’t have to enter the account number in the account name.
- Now, if you are using a cash advance or the employee loan deduction, then you can enter an asset account.
- If you are using the Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) accounts for the expense accounts, then you have to contact the Payroll support team for implementing this functionality for you.
For the different accounts, you are having different options. They are discussed below:
Here you will be shown a question: which QuickBooks checking account do you use to pay your employees’ paychecks and Payroll tax payments? As shown below:
Wage Expense Accounts
In this, you will able to see the different questions related to where do you track employee wages, reimbursements in your QuickBooks chart of accounts as shown below:
In this, you will find a question that where do you track company contributions in your QuickBooks chart of accounts as given below:
Here, you will find different sections in one asked question as to where do you track employer taxes that “you owe” in your QuickBooks chart of accounts as given below:
Other Liabilities/Assets Account
In the below-given image, you can see the other liabilities:
- At last, if you have reached the review page once, then review your mapped accounts carefully for accuracy and finally click on the Finish tab.
If you have created a standard paycheck or tax payment entry for existing information in Intuit Full Service Payroll, then you have to delete these entries. In this, our system will itemize paychecks and tax payments a certain way, so it is important to use our export file to ensure easy reconciliation and avoid costly errors.
Strategy 2: Steps to Set up Intuit Online Payroll into QuickBooks Desktop
Enter your QuickBooks accounts so that you can use the export preferences page. Here you need to use the same name of the QuickBooks accounts which you will be using for the Payroll data.
- First, you need to go to the Setup option.
- In this step, you have to go to the Payroll and services section and from there you have to select a preference.
- Then you have to choose QuickBooks Desktop for Window (IIF) as your accounting software.
- Now you select next for going in the next step.
- After this, go to the checking account field and then enter only the name of the black account exactly as it appears in your QuickBooks listed should be created automatically in your QuickBooks. If in case, you have already created accounts for this specific Payroll transaction, then you have to select custom-make to enter the account names carefully as they use to appear in your QuickBooks.
- While entering the accounts, you can read help topics that are next to each field for choosing the right account type. But in common you can enter an expense account for the wage and tax categories. But for the liabilities account, you can enter the corresponding QuickBooks Payroll liabilities account.
- Now, if you are using a cash advance or employee loan deduction, then enter an asset account for receiving the Payroll data.
- Then, you can use different accounts for different groups of employees, then select that option in the wage/tax category section for entering QuickBooks accounts for each employee.
- Here, if you use the different accounts for the different types of wages/taxes, then you can select the option in the wages/taxes for the categories section for entering QuickBooks accounts for each pay type and tax type.
- Then, you can also have to set up the following as per your requirement:
- In the question given as do you assign classes or transactions? In this, you have to specify that you have used classes in your QuickBooks. But if the classes are selected, then you can enter them on the next page after selecting ok.
- In the second question given that how will you print checks? In this, you are recommended that you have to print paychecks in your Intuit Online Payroll.
- At last, you have to select ok until that time you are back to the Setup overview page.
Strategy 3: Setting Up Intuit Online Payroll in QuickBooks Desktop Mac into QuickBooks Desktop
For setting up export all the transactions that have occurred in the QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. So, after that QuickBooks will automatically import them to your file.
- First, you have to go to the employee’s menu and then select Payroll.
- In this step, you have to go to the payday option and then select the export to QuickBooks.
- Now, select all the paychecks or the tax payments which you want to export. (Here, you can change the data range for viewing other transactions.
- Then choose export.
- At last, you have to review all the Payroll data and click select export.
For checking the status of your QuickBooks after exporting your transactions. The steps are:
- First, you have to go to the list-menu and from there you have to select the charts of accounts.
- Then finally you have to double-click on the account you use to pay your employees. Here, the account registered will show the transactions you have exported. ( In this QuickBooks shows the net pay and while your Payroll shows the total pay.
How to Change which Accounts are Mapped to my Export Preferences
For updating and reviewing your export preferences in Intuit Full Service Payroll and in Intuit Online Payroll. So, below are the steps for this:
Accounts are Mapped to my Export Preferences in Intuit Full Service Payroll
For the account which is mapped to my export preferences in Intuit Full Service Payroll then below are the steps which are discussed below:
- First, you have to go to the account settings.
- In this step, you have to click on edit next in export settings.
- Then, the account will be mapped for export preferences. But if you have to make changes and then select Edit to the right for the section which you need to update, then update the account.
- At last, select save.
Accounts are Mapped to my Export Preferences in Intuit Online Payroll
If here your account is mapped to expert preference in Intuit Online Payroll then you can follow the steps which are given below:
- First, you have to go to the setup.
- After this step, you have to go to the export section and then you have to select preferences.
- Then, the accounts are mapped to your export preferences and will be displayed. Then modify the accounts as per your needs.
- At last, after changing the accounting preferences, then you have to select ok until you are back to the setup overview page.
Methods To Import Information Into QuickBooks Desktop
If you want to import your information into the QuickBooks Desktop then you have to follow these steps which are mentioned below:
- You have to retrieve it .IIF file from your Payroll software, then you have to use the steps for your platform.
- Now, you have to use the .IIF import process for placing your transaction information into QuickBooks Desktop.
If you are using the right networks for running QuickBooks Desktop, then you have to follow the process which is mentioned below:
Steps for Retrieving .IIF file in Intuit Full Service Payroll and Intuit Online Payroll
You are able to retrieve .IIF files in Intuit Full Service Payroll and Intuit Online Payroll. Steps for them are given below:
Steps for Retrieving file from Intuit Full Service Payroll
For retrieving file in Intuit Full Service Payroll then you have to:
- First, you have to select export to QuickBooks from the payday success. But if you will receive a QuickBooks 404 error, then see how to resolve this error when clicking export to QuickBooks.
- In this step, there will be appearing with the number of paychecks and taxes that will be included in the export file. Then, you have to select the export to generate the .IIF file.
- At last, you have to save the file to your computer.
404 status error is normally associated with your browser cache. This error can be resolved as:
- You have to clear your temporary internet files and cookies.
- You have to re-export .IIF file by going to your paychecks list, as you have to select the checks to be exported and then click export.
Steps for Retrieving file from Intuit Online Payroll
For retrieving file in Intuit Online Payroll then you have to:
- First, you have to go to payday and then you have to select the paycheck list.
- In this step, you have to go to the export section and then you need to select preferences.
- Now, you have to select the paychecks which you want to export and then you have to click on the export. It will download your .IIF file automatically.
- After this, you have to download it .IIF file and will be shown at the bottom of your browser. If a file is not opened, then you have to just save it in your folders. Nut if you download the file then it does not appear at the bottom, then you have to check your download folder.
- At last, you have to go further in importing the .IIF files into your QuickBooks account.
What happens after importing Data into QuickBooks
When your Payroll is imported into QuickBooks, then one transaction will be created as per paychecks in your register.
- Here the transaction is itemized into multiple accounts which are based on your export preferences.
- If tax payments are exported, then they are recorded in corresponding to QuickBooks tax liability account and also reduce the liability.
- These transactions in the QuickBooks account are used to keep your balance sheet and profit and loss statements up to date. But you have to remember one thing that you should continue to do all your Payroll reporting using the provided Payroll service.
Steps by which you can Import File into QuickBooks Desktop
You will know the steps which are involved in importing files into windows and Mac. So, below are the steps for them:
Steps for importing into QuickBooks Desktop Windows
- First, you have to go to the QuickBooks Desktop and from that, you select a file.
- After that, you have to choose utilities and then choose the import option.
- Finally, you have to go to the IIF files.
Steps for importing into QuickBooks Desktop Mac
- First, you have to go to the QuickBooks Desktop and from that, you select a file.
- After that, you have to choose the import from the IIF option.
- Then you will be shown a message for back up QuickBooks company file before you continue further steps.
- Now, you have to click on the cancel backup for skipping this step. Suppose, you skip the backup in this step then QuickBooks will be providing you a list where you have to locate the.IIF file.
- At last open the file and then you will be receiving a message that your file has been imported successfully.
But one thing you have to keep in mind that Intuit does not offer any technical support for creating or importing the .IIF files.
Steps for Exporting .IIF files to Right Networks
Suppose, you are using the right network for running the QuickBooks Desktop, then there are few extra steps for importing them. They are:
- First, you have to go to the web browser and then you have to visit the right network website on it, and after visiting you have to select the support option.
- In this step, you have to choose the login to the file manager option.
- After this, you have to login into your right network account. Here all the login process is the same as the login process in QuickBooks. But if you face any problem then you can contact the right network team.
- Now you have to go to the file manager screen and select the blue option or arrow icon which is pointing up.
- Then, you have to select add, browse to the .IIF file on your computer and then select open.
- After this, you have to choose upload and then the file is stored on the right network server.
- Now, go to QuickBooks and then choose File, then you have to click on utilities and then import option and at last click on the .IIF files. Then you have to click on the report which you have uploaded on the right network server.
- At last, .IIF file will be imported into QuickBooks and then you will be receiving a success message of the file imported.
If you want to export your class tracking information by .IIF, then you should know that export of class tracking information is not supported by the .IIF.
Steps For Re-Export Transaction From Payroll Software
For re-exporting the transactions in Intuit Full Service Payroll from Payroll software you can follow the below steps:
Steps For Re-Export Transaction in Intuit Full Service Payroll
- First, you have to go the home.
- In this step, you have to select the view Paycheck list which is there under related activities.
- Now, you have to select the checks which you want to re-export.
- At last, click on export.
But for re-exporting the tax payments, you need to contact Payroll Support for more benefits.
Steps For Re-Export Transaction in Intuit Online Payroll
- First, you have to go to payday and then select export.
- In this step, you have to select shows checks and payments which is already been exported for showing both exported and not exported transactions.
- Now, you have to select all the paychecks or the tax payments which you want to export.
- At last, you have to click on export.
Various Methods For Backing Up the QuickBooks Desktop File Manually
If you want to save or prevent your data loss accidentally then you can easily save by backing up your QuickBooks Desktop file. So, if you want to save your data or have to do a backup then you can see it from the backup QuickBooks company file.
In the above-given article, exporting Intuit Online Payroll transactions to the QuickBooks for Windows or Mac. Hope this article is helpful for you. If in case after following all the steps of this article you are facing an issue at that time you can contact QuickBooks ProAdvisor and can discuss your issue and get the best and instant solutions.